Happy Tuesday! For today's #tuesdaytips we will cover some common poisons.
We are often at this time of year going to friend's or family's homes and many people bring their pets along. A household without a dog/ cat or puppy/ kitten may not think about common poisons that are found regularly in households. Keep your eye on your pet when in another home, and know the local emergency hospital/ pet poison hotline.
What to do if your dog or cat is poisoned:
1. Remove your pet from the area.
2. Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
3. Do NOT give any home antidotes.
4. Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline.
5. Call your veterinarian or if you are out of town the local emergency veterinary hospital or Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661 (a $59 USD incident fee applies)
If you are unsure if something is toxic or not, feel free to look it up at the website: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/
Happy Tuesday! Today for our Tuesday Tip we’ll be talking about how to properly measure your dog for a new coat for the winter months.
Make sure to use a soft tape measure or a rope to take measurements.
It is best that your dog is standing straight up to get the correct measurements.
The areas you will want to measure are as follows:
Back Length- start at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder blades and go to the base of the tail
Chest Circumference/Girth- measure at the thickest point of the chest
Chest Width- measure across the front of the chest
Neck Circumference/Girth- measure at the base of the neck
Many companies will have sizing charts on their websites as they want to make sure you choose the right fit for your dog. If you’re heading to a pet store though verify their measurements before you go!
Tuesdays Tips a day late! Today’s tip will be about Holiday Hazards this season.
The Holiday season is full of joy but there are many hazards that come with decorating this time of year.
If you get a real Christmas tree try to keep your pets away from the water which may contain fertilizer from the tree as well as stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria which may cause nausea and/or diarrhea.
Avoid real mistletoe and holly, as these can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Mistletoe can also cause possible cardiovascular problems.
Avoid using tinsel and other stringed ornaments as these might look fun to play with for a cat but if ingested can lead to a possible obstruction in the digestive tract, vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.
Everyone loves to string lights around the house make sure to keep wires out of reach as these can cause a shock if chewed.
Make sure to keep glass ornaments higher up if you have a curious cat or pup if knocked off the tree and/or chewed will cause damage.
We want everyone to have a happy and safe Holiday this year